Custom Search

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power

This was a slow read for me because I really wanted to understand the topic. I would read one chapter, think about things for a day or two and then come back to the book for the next chapter.  I, previously, had no real interest in the American military even though several of my family members have served in the past.  This, interestingly enough, is the crux of what Maddow gets at in the book.  There is an ever-widening gap between the military and civilians. We seem to be very comfortable with being at war constantly, or at least we seem to be comfortable ignoring the fact that we are constantly at war. She outlines her version of how that came to be and where we are headed if that continues.  I enjoyed the book for two reasons.  First, it made me think long and hard about all the things that go on out of view of the American public.  Second, her presentation of the material is accessible in just the right way.  She doesn't dumb it down, but she doesn't go into the stratosphere with her explanations.  She found the right tone.

With that being said, I'll admit I'm already a bit biased because I really like Rachel Maddow's way of making topics understandable.  I watch her show just about every day.  My review may be a little less objective because of that, but I still think the book is worth a read. She kept me interested in a topic I would have previously thought to be dry.