Custom Search

Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Devil in Pew Number Seven

I have mixed feeling about this book. The message is a good one. It is about the power of forgiveness.  Throughout the book, I would vacillate between thinking the family was crazy for staying put in that Podunk town and thinking all the townspeople were just plain crazy.

This is a true story about a family of four who is terrorized by the man who lives across the street from them. The father in the family is the pastor at the local church and the man who lives across the street from them is a mentally disturbed power hungry man of influence.  Basically when the townsfolk really start to appreciate the pastor and care less about this other crazy man, he tries to assert his authority by setting off explosives in the family's backyard and riddling their car and house with bullets on occasion.  This madness goes on for about five years before finally someone dies. In the midst of all this destruction and chaos, the pastor stays put because he believes the Lord has led him to preach in this town and he does not want to abandon his flock.  Meanwhile, the psychological damage to his wife, son and daughter is outlined in great detail by the author (who happens to be the daughter all grown up now).

I understand the power of forgiveness, however the willingness of the father to keep his family in harm's way ultimately leads to death, loss and grief.  I kept wondering if he knew that it is possible to forgive an individual from a distant location.  You can pray for your enemies while residing in another state.  I felt like so much of the sorrow in the story could have been prevented if he packed his family up and left.  I'm reminded of the parable about a farmer who was caught in a flood. He prayed to God for help or a miracle. The waters were not too high yet and a friend rode by in a boat. He offered a ride to man. The man replied that he had prayed to God and was waiting for a miracle. The friend rode on.  The waters continued to rise until finally the man was on his roof. He continued to pray to God for a miracle.  A helicopter flew by to survey the area and noticed the man on his roof. The occupants of the helicopter threw a ladder down and told the man to climb up.  The man refused, saying that God was going to save him.  The helicopter flew away.  Eventually the man was swept away by the floodwaters and drowned. When he reached Heaven, he was angry with God.  He told him he prayed and prayed but God never saved him.  He was accusatory and asked God why didn't he help him or save him. God simply said, "I sent you a boat and a helicopter".

That's what I thought about when I read this book. The signs were there.  The opportunities to leave were there.  I guess one could say that God was trying to tell them to get the hell out of that town. The pastor believed God was telling him that there was more work to be done in that community.  This was the mid-1970s and I wasn't there so who know what God put on that man's heart.  I do believe though, that I would not have allowed my young children to be terrorized with explosions and gunshots if I could help it. I would have packed my family up, thanked the Lord that we all got out alive and prayed for that crazy man to be healed. I would have been praying in a safe non-bullet riddled location though!

Overall, the book was interesting but it went on little too long.  I don't highly recommend it, but if you are interested in stories about forgiveness and mercy pick it up.