Custom Search

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Americanah

I will confess that I am mildly obsessed with this author recently. I subscribe to The New Yorker fiction podcast.  One of the episodes is Adichie reading a story by Jamaica Kincaid. Her voice is mesmerizing.  It's built for story telling. Then I saw a TED talk she gave regarding "The Danger of a Single Story". Again, her voice, combined with the fluidity and beauty of her words, was mesmerizing to me. In March she had a short story published in The New Yorker, which I found out was actually a part of this novel. So, a few months ago in May, I found out she was going to be presenting her book Americanah at one of the Free Library's author events. Of course I went and bought the book and had it signed. She complimented my hair you guys!!!  But I digress. The point is, I am a total fan girl so this review may be skewed.

The book spans about fifteen to twenty years and follows two Nigerians, Ifemelu and Obinze. The two were a couple in high school and throughout their early university days.  However, as political conditions cripple the education system in Nigeria, Ifemelu finds her way to study in America.  Obinze is supposed to follow, but fate places him on a different path.  The two tell their stories in separate interwoven chapters and the common thread is that they have never forgotten one another.  But is this a love story? In some ways, yes.  As you read it though, you realize it's so much more. The themes that Adichie touches upon are black hair, immigration struggles, internal transitions, race, and fidelity.  The love examined is both the love for one another as well as the love of one's country. The work is beautifully written. It's lyrical and introspective.  The observations are poignant and sentimental. I greatly enjoyed the book, but again this may be because I already loved the idea of it from the beginning.

Here is a link to The New Yorker story if you want to get a taste of her writing.
Here is a link to the Free Library podcast from her Author Event.
Here is a link to her TED talk: The Danger of a Single Story.