Custom Search

Monday, December 31, 2012

World War Z

I'm getting into the habit of seeing movie previews and then picking up the book if I think it will be interesting or if I've heard good things about it.  So was the case for World War Z. I saw the preview and picked up the book because I'd heard good things.  The book was a solid offering.  I felt it dragged in some parts when some of the technical military descriptions went on long.  The stories of personal escapes or triumphs were the ones I gravitated towards.  The Z in World War Z stands for zombies.  You have every right to roll your eyes here.  If it's not for you, it's not for you and that's understandable.  Basically, there is a patient zero who kicks of this worldwide plague and then it's on.  All the nations have their own ways of battling the zombies and reclaiming their nation and their stories reflect that.  The book is written in a documentary style.  The narrator is traversing the world and interviewing survivors of the war in order to preserve their tales of survival.  It is an interesting way to tell this particular war story and it does work.  Some of the descriptions were so vivid that I did actually have a bad dream or two.  If an author can affect your mind in that way, I think that is evidence of a well done job.