Custom Search

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Madame Tussaud

Michelle Moran, the author, is a favorite of mine and has yet to disappoint me.  This is one of the books recommended to me based on my previous ratings/reviews of the her work. A few years ago I read Nefertiti, and I was so absorbed by the story that now I read just about anything she writes.  I like the fact that she picks female historical figures who have either political strength or a great deal of personal inner strength.  I have to admit I've never been to Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. Having read this book, though, I will be making a trip soon.  The story focuses on her life during the bloody French Revolution and the political games she reluctantly had to play.  As a side note, when I was halfway through this book I watched Sofia Coppola's movie Marie Antoinette so I could have a bit of a refresher on the names, places, and fashions of that time (Cliff Notes!). Anyway, Madame Tussaud really had a fascinating life and I had a good time reading about it.  At the end of her novels, Moran always does a great job of letting the reader know what is historical fact and what is artistic license.  I have to say, though, she does not use too much artistic license because the periods she chooses to write about are rife with so much drama, there's really no need to embellish much.  So I would say go for it if this time period interests you.