Custom Search

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Blankets

So this book is not on my 2012 list, but I saw a beautifully bound book entitled Habibi and had to stop myself from impulse-buying it. I would not normally place myself in a category of "avid graphic novel reader" (I've only read Persepolis), but if a story is good I will read it, no matter the form.  So instead of buying Habibi, I went home and did some research on the author.  I saw that Blankets was an earlier work by him and it was available at the library. I thought I should probably give him a try before spending $35.  The illustrations are beautiful and emotive. The story has moments of joy, pain, sorrow, laughter, and wonder.  It's an autobiographical account of the author's childhood and it is full of difficult situations that kids/teens face. Divorce, strict parents, first loves, sibling rivalry, bullies, spiritual crises, existentialism, family dynamics, child abuse, and more.  The story is easy to follow and has many insightful observations.  A warning though....if you are not a religious person, this book may not be for you. Many of the author's observations and conversations in the book are in relation to Jesus and Christianity. I know the topic of religion is not for everyone so that's why I mention it. There is also a small amount of adult content/nudity if you're wary of that. I fully enjoyed the book and will definitely be reading Habibi in the near future.