Custom Search

Saturday, February 11, 2012

To Kill a Mockingbird

"As you grow older, you'll see white men cheat black men every day of your life, but let me tell you something and don't you forget it---whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matter who he is, how rich he is, or how fine a family he comes from, that white man is trash." (pg. 295)

I first read this book in high school as an assignment. I also vaguely remember seeing the movie at some point.  I decided it was time to revisit it because all I could remember was the trial and unjust verdict, but not much else.  Now that I have fully experienced this book as an adult, I can honestly say it is one of my favorites.  I think as a high school student I was overly focused on the trial.  Now reading it as an adult with more life experience, I can relate to and better understand the story as a whole and the numerous themes that are addressed.  I can better absorb the small nuances of growing up in a Southern town in the 1930s and the broader goal of the story.  In my mind, I always thought the trial was the whole book.  I thought starting from page one it was all about the trial.  However, the trial is not even mentioned until almost halfway through the book.  This is more a story about basic human kindness than anything else.  Atticus Finch is now one of my all-time favorite fiction characters.  Sometimes I re-visit a book from high school and think "why the heck is this considered a classic???".  With this book, there is no doubt in my mind that this book most certainly belongs in the "classic" category.