Custom Search

Monday, July 14, 2014

Every Day is for the Thief

I have been on a roll when it comes to selecting works by African authors. Well, of course that's just my opinion. I've really enjoyed the last few books I read by African authors (Half of a Yellow Sun, Ghana Must Go, and Americanah). Every Day is for the Thief is another one I can add to the list. The prose is beautiful and it really does take you to Nigeria. When I read works by Adichie, I do feel a sense of how Nigeria experiences herself. While I can't quite put my finger on it, Cole writes in a way that makes Nigeria feel more naked and bare bones. I think this is because, for this particular book, Nigeria is a character. Whereas for the other books, the African countries were merely places where the action occurred. That's not a bad thing. I was just more cognizant of Nigeria while reading this book. Another reason that happens is that the main character is unnamed. It's as if the author wants Nigeria to take center stage. The narrator has been in the United States for fifteen years and now decides to take a trip back to Nigeria. Each short chapter talks about what he senses when back in his home country. It's an examination on how we outgrow our childhood.  We can never quite fully escape it, but it doesn't fit us anymore as we become adults. Can you ever find a place that does fit if you feel you belong nowhere? I thought it was a lovely, beautiful work full of honesty and poetry.