Custom Search

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Self-Inflicted Wounds

I don't often read humor books by comedians. Although, I probably should because they are usually a breath of fresh air from heavier reading. I read Aisha Tyler's first book Swerve many years ago when I was probably in my early 20s (??) and I don't remember much about it. This book, however, will probably stick in my memory because I'm older now and the life lessons she discusses are more relevant to me. I didn't know much about life's struggles when I was just starting out in the world, but now I can relate. Initially, based on the book jacket description, I was just expecting a funny book about crazy things that happened to her, but I was surprised to find some inspiration as well.

The breakdown of the book is essentially 32 mini-chapters about instances where Tyler humiliated herself or something crazy happened because of her own actions. At the end of most of the stories, though, she discusses what she learned. I really admire her for always striving ahead in life with no fear. I think if you are struggling with moving forward with your dreams, you will enjoy this book. It's a light, easy way for you to kind of get that kick in the rear that might motivate you to also strive without fear.  You get a few good laughs to boot! It's not laugh out loud funny all the way through, but it has its moments. I truly appreciated her candor and motivational analogies for life. This would be a good quick summer read for anyone interested in getting a little jolt of optimism through vicarious embarrassment.