Custom Search

Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat

I enjoyed this book and it was a quick read (2 days). However, a lot of the current reviews allude to it being seriously funny, but I only chuckled a handful of times.  I had this book sitting around for a few days and I only picked it up specifically because a review I read in a magazine said I would be laughing so much I'd want to read it again.  It was a good book, and I'm pretty sure with the recent success of The Help it will become a film.  I just didn't really laugh.  I recognized the parts where I was supposed to laugh, but I didn't. Also, I don't feel a strong urge to re-read it.

The story is about three friends who have a friendship that spans forty-plus years.  You know the deal.  One friend has a cheating husband, the other has cancer and the third is still grieving her dead child.  Throughout the book, the past and the present are interwoven so we can see how the women met and how their lives have come to this point.  They meet every Sunday at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat buffet and hash out the drama of their lives. It is a sweet story about friendship and I can certainly see why it's getting very good reviews.  I just wouldn't classify it as a comedy.  Or maybe my sense of humor is off. Who knows? It's the kind of book in which you start casting movie roles as you're reading it.  I think the humor would come across better on film because the nuances of the facial expressions and the delivery of the lines would make a big difference.  If you need a solid summer read, I think this would be a good choice.