Custom Search

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Kushiel's Scion


I feel the need to give a short back-story before I say why I didn't love this book, but I didn't hate it.  This author has written nine books based in the fictional world of Terre D'Ange, which is a parallel world similar to Europe.  I absolutely LOVED the first three (Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, and Kushiel's Avatar). That trilogy had everything a fantasy novel could have, political intrigue, espionage, betrayal, war, forbidden love, unrequited love, murder, sex, swords, daggers...you get the picture.  I devoured that first series over ten years ago.  

Then I bought Kushiel's Scion probably about six years ago. I decided I would pick up where I left off.  What I didn't know at the time was that it wasn't really a continuation (i.e. it was not "Book Four" of a series), but a new trilogy where a character who was only a child at the end of Kushiel's Avatar was now older and he was the narrator.  It was a character I didn't really even care about, but I decided to give it a chance because maybe it would be as exciting as the first three books.  Well that was six years ago and I tried to start the book several times over the past few years.  Finally, I dove in and decided to read it.  It is 900 pages and it took me about 300 pages before I was well vested into the story. The story was interesting, just not put-everything-down-and-read-this-book absorbing.  So I plugged along and completed three other books along the way.  

The story is way too detailed to discuss here, but basically the first trilogy is known as "Phèdre's Trilogy" because it's mainly about Phèdre and her adventures as a spy/courtesan.  In the end of the trilogy she rescues a little boy named Imriel from a death camp.  That's not a spoiler alert because there is so much more to the story.  So the second trilogy is "Imriel's Trilogy" because he's not a little boy anymore and now he is having his own adventures, which mostly consist of him trying to avoid assassination because he is actually a prince that nobody wants to see on the throne.  See, even this review is going on too long because of all the intricacies of the story.  

And that brings me to my main problem with the book.  It went on way too long. I confess I skimmed the last 200 pages and read mostly for dialogue, opting out of the lengthy descriptions about the rocky cobblestones or the shining vambraces.  Also, the action did not interest me.  There were battles and sieges and riots and I was like 'meh' through most of it.  The redeeming quality that, in the end, kept me moderately interested was that the author rounds the characters out so well that you do want to know what happens to them eventually.  I was legitimately sad for one of the characters when he died.  I thought in my head "Aww man, poor ____ why him!?" So the book gets some kudos for tugging at my heartstrings.   Otherwise, I've decided that I'm not interested enough to finish this second trilogy or begin the third.  I do, however, highly recommend the first trilogy (Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, and Kushiel's Avatar).