Custom Search

Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao


When my book club met to discuss This is How You Lose Her, many of the members recommended that if I hadn't read Oscar Wao that I should.  They were all swooning over it and said they loved it much better than TIHYLH. So I picked it up at the library recently and just completed it.  I really did enjoy the story.  There are a few stylistic elements that I'm not a fan of (i.e. long tortuous paragraphs of footnotes[1] that detract from the flow of the story) but overall I had a good time reading it.  I didn't absolutely love it, but it is a strong book. Along with being a story about a lovestruck nerd who seems doomed to remain a virgin, I think it was also a phenomenal lesson on the history of politics in the Dominican Republic (if you're interested). Diaz will give you plenty to chew on from that aspect, mostly in the form of long footnotes I mentioned earlier.  The story is not so much about Oscar as it is about the perceived family curse. Diaz goes all the way back to Oscar's grandfather to describe how the family is a magnet for bad luck.  His grandfather, his mother, his sister, and Oscar all have their stories told and this helps you think critically about the big picture.  In the end, you wonder if Oscar's demise was inevitable given all the misfortune that preceded his life.  What I enjoy about Diaz is his hyperbole and his ability to make a sentence stick out in your mind visually as you read it.  If you are going to read Diaz's work this is probably the one to pick up first.   






[1] It’s only fitting that I place a footnote in this review because Diaz does use them somewhat extensively in the book. But do you see how distracting this is for you to either stop reading where the little number tells you and come down here to read something entirely new or to skip over the little number but feel compelled to read it when you’ve finished the page? Then you have to remember what this footnote is related to within the story or if it's really related at all.  What I really want to tell you in this footnote is that one of the narrators in the story is Yunior, who happens to be the main character in TIHYLH. If you read TIHYLH first, you will realize what a sad little boy-man Yunior is and that may color your reading of Oscar Wao. What else can I say in this footnote? I should make it kind of official and put a fact in here or something, right?  Well I was born in Ohio which is the only state with a non-rectangular flag. It's really called a burgee.