Custom Search

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

If You Were My Man

Since I basically wanted to stab my eyes out with the last four books I read, it was time for a good old cheesy romance full of scandal and lust.  Since I couldn't get a hold of the latest Jackie Collins (who is my usual go-to author for these guilty breaks) I picked up this book by Francis Ray.  I'm not even ashamed to say I enjoyed this book.  It was just nice to have a book that kept me turning the pages instead of snoring.  There is a lot to be said for simple writing that gets to the point.  Questionable dialogue and my own personal eye rolling aside, I had FUN with this book.  At times, I was talking to it like I was at the opening of a Tyler Perry movie.

Me to the main female character:  "Girl just tell him the TRUTH!"
Me to the main male character: "You KNOW you love her!! Stop playin'!"

It was a welcome break from my faux-intellectualism. You already know the plot. Boy meets girl; girl is reluctant;  girl isn't reluctant beyond page 60; nobody wants to admit they are in love; big argument or misunderstanding; something potentially tragic or dangerous happens; then everyone admits they actually ARE in love...the end!  Oh and you know you have adverbs like warm, moist, hot, hard, and wet floating around in every chapter. However, I submit today that knowing the formula for a book like this adds to the enjoyment because you already know the couple will be victorious no matter the circumstances.  So you really can just pop some popcorn, kick your feet up, and jump into the story.  I couldn't read these books over and over again, but a few times a year I just have to take it back to basics.