Custom Search

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Firefly Lane

This is a chick-lit book all the way.  Don't even pick it up if you expect anything different.  Now with that being said, I really enjoyed it for what it was.  The book covers the thirty-year friendship of two women, Tully and Kate.  The friendship begins in high school and the book covers the ups and downs of the friendship as well as the intertwined personal lives of the women. I knew it would be sappy and clichéd, but I still got a little teary-eyed towards the end. Did I also roll my eyes at some of the characters and their actions?  Of course.  Did I think some of the plot twists were a little too convenient? A little. However, there is something about the women's friendship and feelings that the author got right.  For that reason alone, I kept reading.  Anyone who has a complex relationship with someone will recognize certain aspects of that relationship in this book. It reads a bit like a Jodi Picoult novel without a major hot button topic as the centralized theme. I would put this in the category of summer read because it reads quickly and smoothly.  Although the story takes a sad downturn, I still felt satisfied at the end because there was some type of resolution.