Custom Search

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Mockingjay

Well, in all honesty, I read this book because I often feel compelled to complete trilogies.  I didn't quite care for book two in the trilogy, but I pressed on so I could give an honest opinion of the entire trilogy. Now that I've read all three books, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I'm disappointed.  The protagonist is yet another weak, indecisive young woman (see Twilight series).  I'm so tired of these series portraying young women as victims.  Most of the action that takes place in this book only superficially involves the main character.  Usually she ends up having some kind of mental meltdown and someone else has to either talk her off the ledge or complete the action for her.  I get that it's a series for young readers, but why can't young women read about other young women who kick-ass and get over the mental blocks? Why can't we see a female character who is not crippled with "boy trouble"?  The first book was great, the second was repetitive and the third just dragged.  When I first began this series, I envisioned it going in a more political thriller/espionage direction, but it seems as if the author is either incapable of good plot and character development or just disinterested.  In the end it's a tepid teenage love story encased in the disguise of a (weak) political thriller.