Custom Search

Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Little Prince

Continuing with my theme of books that are supposed to have a deep meaning, I picked up The Little Prince. It was OK, but having read it right after The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane I have to admit I didn't love it. I may be unfairly comparing the two.  Maybe, also, I shouldn't have read the two so close together, but Edward Tulane's story was so much more compelling for me.  I know The Little Prince is considered a classic and I always hate when I don't immediately fall in love with a classic. It makes me feel like I don't "get it". In this case, however, I get it and the moral of the story is very lovely and somewhat spiritual. It just didn't hit me with the same force as the Edward Tulane story.

If you haven't already read it, The Little Prince is about a little prince who travels the universe and comes across a man on Earth who has crashed his plane in the Sahara desert. The two learn a lot from each other about love, compassion and what's important in life (hint: it's the things you see with your heart, not your eyes). It was sweet and definitely a quick read since it was originally written for children.  Is is one of my favorites? Not really. Is it worth a read? Sure.