Custom Search

Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Best of Times

If you have diabetes, skip this book because the syrupy sweetness will surely put you into a diabetic coma.  This book is the Game of Thrones of chick-lit.  I say that because there are easily twenty characters. Their stories are all intertwined because of a fateful car crash on a highway in England.  At times I felt like I was reading an extended version of the movie Love Actually.  I can't even get into the multitude of characters and their back stories.  Just know there are a lot relationships started, broken, patched up, broken again, and then finally ending in either marriage or some other suitable resolution, like engagement or co-habitation.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it for what it was, but it was just entirely too long.  I think it was fine for the crash to be the catalyst for the story.  It was a good way to introduce the characters. Once they were established, and the cause of the crash was resolved, we are still subjected to the entire inquest as well as the planning for a charity fundraiser for the hospital where victims were treated. Those bits were not too interesting to me. This would have been a perfect book for summer reading on vacation.  It's also a good choice for a snowstorm weekend. Please just know what you're getting into when you pick it up.