Custom Search

Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow

This is one of the most beautiful books I've read this year.  Since this year is almost at a close, I think I can also say that it it's one of the most memorable books I've read this year.  It's set in 1950s Louisiana and the author uses such magical language in her descriptions of settings, thoughts, and emotions that you almost feel like you are right there cloaked in magical realism.

The protagonist of the book is Bonaventure Arrow who was born mute. He doesn't speak, but he has extra-sensitive hearing. He can hear the stars being born and the spices in the kitchen tell their stories about being used for gumbo.  He lives with his mother and paternal grandmother.  They are both shrouded in a deep, grieving sadness stemming from the death of Bonaventure's father. Ultimately, it is up to the spirit of the deceased father, Bonaventure, and Trinidad Prefontaine (a Creole woman with the power of healing and prophecy), to bring healing to all the characters. This story has layers that go beyond healing, though. It's also about our actions and how they affect others immediately and indefinitely.  It's also about taking the time to listen to others and to the world around you.

There are many layers to the plot, but I won't go into much detail because I really want you to read it. It's so beautifully and vividly written that I think you will get drawn in as quickly and easily as I did.