Custom Search

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Fragile Things

Long ago I purchased a copy of American Gods.  It sat on my shelf unread for too long and then, without ever reading it, I donated it to a bookstore.  Fast forward a few years and I saw a wonderful commencement speech by Neil Gaiman on YouTube via a link sent by a friend.  A few days after I saw that speech, which stayed in my mind, I was in the library and saw this book.  It's a collection of some of his short stories and poems.  I was so inspired by what he said, I wanted to get to know his art. I wanted to ease into his work so I could come back to American Gods one day.  This book has a "wow" factor.  I mean that I would sometimes finish a story and literally say "wow" or "that was SO good".  There were, of course, a few stories that I didn't care for either way. However, the majority of his stories absorbed me.  At times I would be reading a story and become so enveloped in it that when it ended, I had to remind myself that I was reading a short story and not a novel.  I had settled into the story so deeply that I was somehow fully expecting it to go on, and the point is I wanted it to go on.  If you are a fan of Mr. Gaiman's work, I think you'll enjoy this.  If you are unsure whether or not you will enjoy his work but enjoy fantasy, this is a very nice introduction.

*On a side note, as I was reading his work, I found myself thinking that it is very much possible to write great stories without being lofty.  In fact, making a story more accessible lends a certain authenticity to it.  This was a good writing lesson for me!