Custom Search

Monday, March 12, 2012

The Sense of an Ending

Hmmm, I don't quite know where to begin with this book.  I keep getting sidetracked from my 2012 book list and reading whatever catches my eye or whatever someone is excited about. This is a book that a friend of mine was so excited about that he emailed me and practically demanded I get it the next day. I enjoyed reading it, but it's one of those books that left me frustrated at the end.  I wanted an open and shut plot, but didn't get that.  It's a short book coming in shy of 165 pages.  Still, I'm trying to figure out what is real and what is a figment of the narrator's imagination.  The main premise of the book is that memory is unreliable and we create the history that best suits us at the time of recollection.  However, if we were to step back and really look at our past with a magnifying glass we would be confronted with the imperfections that show all the warts that make our lives ugly. This is a book that could be deconstructed in a literature class and still have many unanswered questions.  There is no clear answer, and perhaps that *is* the answer.