Custom Search

Monday, January 16, 2012

Life is a Trip: The Transformative Magic of Travel

Having read "Happier Than a Billionaire" right before this book, I was expecting another great book about travel, adventure, and zen-like realizations about the world around us.  This book, while similar in some aspects, was not as enjoyable for me as Billionaire.  It is a compilation of personal travel stories from the author's history.  Within each story there seems to be some moral guideline or lesson.  I gave it 3/5 stars on Goodreads.com because I did enjoy it, but the zen-like realizations felt too forced.  It was as though the author was saying quite loudly "SEE THIS IS THE MORAL OF THE STORY!!!" Instead of letting the chapter/essay naturally come to a peaceful conclusion, she spells her point out just in case you missed it.  However, I always feel that if you've made your point with good writing, you don't have to spell it out in the end.  This is a very quick read and can be completed in a day or two, so I do think it's decent reading for a lengthy train ride or a day on the beach.