Custom Search

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

I can't quite put my finger on why it took me a little while to become interested in this book, but it wasn't until around page 120 that things started to move along quickly enough for me. When it did start moving, I couldn't put the book down.  However, for the first 120 pages I was only mildly interested.  The basic premise is that a young boy learns that his grandfather was a "peculiar child" who spent some time at a home for "peculiar children".  After the grandfather dies, the boy is thrown into a bit of a mystery. He must find these children if they are still alive.  What he discovers includes an adventure surrounding children with X-men mutant-type talents, time travel, and supernatural bad guys.  Vintage photos are interspersed within the chapters, and I found those to be very interesting. However, at times I felt the author was trying too hard to incorporate the photos into the story. There is also room at the end for a sequel, but when I finished the book, I specifically had the thought "I will not be reading the sequel to this".  The concept was unique and it was a quick read once you got into it, but the problem was actually getting into it.