Custom Search

Friday, October 7, 2011

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky

This book was a bit melancholy but sweetly written.  It's unassuming and sort of slowly walks you through the story.  You wonder in the back of your mind what really happened to the main character. The author shows you in pieces what is the truth behind the tragedy.  However, when you find out, you realize that you already knew.  Even with out the tragedy, this is a story of a bi-racial girl who is growing up confused about where she belongs in a 1980s-1990s race-conscious America.  The tragedy that befalls her family could have been omitted and a solid story could have still been written more like a character study.  I did enjoy it as a coming of age story. I found that I was pacing myself while reading it so I could take my time and enjoy it.  As a side note though, I still have to say the best "bi-racial coming-of-age" book I ever read (thus far in my short life) was Caucasia by Danzy Senna.  Hey, I'm all about reading so I suggest reading both and coming to your own conclusion.