Custom Search

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Seconds

This was a book I heard about on the Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast from NPR. I very rarely read graphic novels, but I find that when one is recommended to me I really enjoy it. The last one that I really enjoyed (Habibi) was over two years ago and I haven't really read one since then because I hadn't heard any glowing recommendations. So when I heard about Seconds on NPR I was interested in the plot description and picked it up at the library.

I really enjoyed it. It's a fast moving story and the graphics are really nice. I especially related to and appreciated the character of Hazel and the attention to detail that is apparent in the artist's rendering. The story follows Katie as she runs into difficulties while trying to open a new restaurant. In the midst of these trials and tribulations she discovers some magic mushrooms in her current restaurant. These mushrooms have the power of changing any past mistakes you think you may have made. Of course it gets out of hand because changing the past will also change the present.  This was such a fun read with a bit of a magical twist. The moral of the story is very clear as it's happening, but the journey of the story and the beautiful illustrations make it so much more enjoyable. Even if you think graphic novels aren't for you I'm recommending this one to you.