Custom Search

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Gulp

This was one of the non-fiction books on my "want to read" list this year. I'll admit you have to have a general interest in the GI tract or medical topics. It's so well-written that even the layman can understand it. That's why I enjoyed it so much. Even though I could understand a book full of medical terms, I enjoy it when an author can write about complex topics at a more palatable level (bad pun intended). The book follows the amazing GI system from top to bottom. From the first bite of food to that final trip to the bathroom. So, yes, this book is not for people easily grossed out by things like spit, vomit, and bowel movements. Since I work at a hospital with patients who have some of the ailments discussed here, I was completely into it! This was probably one of the more enjoyable medical reads for me in a long time.

Since it does cover topics that might make some people gag, I won't go into detail about it. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you have a curious mind that is not turned off by bodily functions, I think it's a great read!