Custom Search

Friday, November 4, 2011

Unbroken

This book is phenomenal.  I am finding it hard to describe how I felt while reading it because at any given time I felt several feelings at once. Joy, despair, hope, fear, disgust, and other emotions all swelled up in me  fighting for dominance. In the end, what I felt most was an immense gratitude and humility.  In no way could I ever fathom going through what the men in this book went through. There were nights I couldn't put the book down.  Whenever I did put the book down I was worried for the men, distraught over what they endured, and frantic to see what happened.  It is a true account of one man's particular horror, but throughout the story you get glimpses of the darkest hour of several men's lives as POWs during WWII.  It is haunting, inspiring, and impressive. One of the best I've read this year.